Design and Content Guidelines
It is very important that your design and content mesh together. Very often you will find Web Design Companies are very good at the design aspect of website building but they do not design for content. I have found that free website templates (including WordPress, Joomla, and other CMS ) may have a very fresh and great designs but is poorly designed for you companies blog & page content. It is also important to know that a great looking design of a website is not just the colors and way a website may look a feel, it must all so include the content.
Here are some tips and simple guidelines that Solen Provides our customers.
- Your site/design should have clear hierarchy and text links. When you build the navigation make every page reachable from at least one static text link.
- Your site/design should always include a site map for your visitors. Your sitemap should point to important parts of your site. Try to avoid very large sitemaps. If your sitemap has to many links you might want to build more than one page for your sitemap.
- When you build your menu or navigation try to keep the links to a reasonable number. Do not over load to many links on one page.
- In your web design and creation of you sites pages try to create useful and information-rich content. Write and design pages that clearly and accurately describe your business goals and the most relevant content.
- During the designing and building of your content pages do Key Word research to help users find your pages, and make sure that your site actually includes those words within it.
- A common mistake many designers do is using text in images. When designing pages use text instead of images to display important names, content, or links. The reason for this is because Google, Bing and other Search Engines crawlers do not recognize text contained in images. Note: If using textual content in images, use the “ALT” attribute to include a few words of descriptive text.
- In your design you will want to make sure that your site includes <title> elements. You will want to make sure that they descriptive and accurate. Read More about this here
- During and after your web design is built make sure you continually check for broken links and incorrect HTML.